Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Bhutan
I have internet access but it is pretty slow, so I can't get pictures to download. Right now I am in Thimpu the capital of Bhutan. I have been learning and working in the OR and orthopedic ward/clinic with my dad. It is definately different than US medicine. It is neat to see how they utilize limited resources. For example we bring our own scrubs, mask, and hat to the OR. Nothing is disposible and if they take out hardware from one patient and it is still good, they will sterilize it and use it again on another patient. The hard thing about third world medicine is the rate of infection. almost every patient seems to get osteomyelitis or infection of the bone which is pretty rare in the US. And the other thing is the rate of tuberculosis. It is so rare in the US and here there are so many young patients with spinal TB. Dad is teaching me how to suture in the OR and I get to scrub in, so hopefully I will learn lots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment